Sunday, March 18, 2012

Day 4 - Back in Paris - Part One

March 15, 2012

Today is my fifth day in Paris, however it is only my second day of exploring Paris. Not too much on the agenda today, just go to the Science Musuem and then off to Montmarte. I only planned to do two things today because I had a feeling I was going to take a while at the Science Musuem. Unfortunately I did not make it out of the apartment today until 11 am. The past two days have left me dog tired. In the last 48 hours I have been on four planes and to three countries. Whose idea was this? No matter, it is definatley worth it.

I got to the Science Musuem about noon. I had no idea it was going to be this big! I wish I had a picture of the building from outside to show you, but they were doing heavy construction everywhere. Let's see if I can find a picture on the internet. Here ya go:
I spent 6 hours in this musuem. I would have stayed longer, but it was closing time and they  kicked me out. :( How dare they! I am just a girl trying to learn. That's all. Sheesh! The main builing was four levels. I was able to do half of the second level and half of the third level. I got to see a show in their planatarium about, you guessed it...the universe. Haha! It just talked about stars, planets, outerspace, and how the universe came to be. It was about 45 minutes long, and was narrated by Whoopi Goldburg. I got to sit in one of those cool reclining chairs. Just gazing at the stars, how beautiful. My last stop in the musuem was to their I-MAX theature which is located inside the big metal globe (picture below). If you have never been to an I-MAX, I strongly suggest you get to one. I watched the movie Hubble. Strong emphasis on the word "watched". The movie was in French. As I have expressed before, I do not know French. The women at the ticket counter told me the show was in English, but what she failed to tell me is that I had to get an audio guide. She could of included that. Nevertheless, I followed along just fine and enjoyed every minute of it. Here are pictures from the Science Musuem:
 

2nd Row Left: They had these cool touch screens everywhere! Just like the ones on NCIS:LA. Super cool to play with!
3rd Row Right: Demonstrates how a mass can warp space-time.
5th Row Left: Vulcain Engine, used to launch rockets into outer space.
5th Row Middle: An interactive game, where the udders are your joysticks. Haha!
5th Row Right: Demonstrates the Gaussian (Bell) Curve.
Bottom Left: Bullx S6010 Computer Server. A cluster of 4,300 of these servers make up the Tera 100 Supercomputer which has 300 TB of memory.
Bottom Right: Quote on the display case - "Duct tape and velcro are the two most important tools for space crews." (Jean-Francois Clervoy)

Me in the planetarium:

The Globe with IMAX inside:

Next up I went to Montmartre. I think I am going to do a Part Two blog post for Montmartre, as this post has gotten really long. I hope everyone is enjoying these post! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment